Author Nina Revoyr drew a crowd to the One Book One Glendale event, which was held immediately after the Friends 2016 general membership meeting and elections May 25. In addition to The Age of Dreaming, Revoyr has published other critically acclaimed works of fiction centered on characters and situations drawn from the history of Los Angeles. Many fans showed up to hear her speak, and she stayed afterwards to sign books and talk with the audience.
Earlier that evening, Friends President Elise Kalfayan spoke about the major transitions and renovations under way for the Friends, in conjunction with the Central Library renovation. Summary:
We are relocating and renovating our book store space. The Book Nook will be closing in several weeks and we should be moving into our new office, storage and book store space this summer. Thanks to VP Book Sales Peter Breckheimer, and the Book Sales Committee members Janice Carter, Marie Fish, and Mary Alice Toomey, who are working on this big project.
We are renovating our image with a new logo and signage at Central Library. Thanks to Logo Committee Chair Rodica Mondocea and members Lynda Burns, Patricia DuPre, and Mary Alice Toomey.
We are building stronger connections to and with partner organizations in the community. In the past year, we have:
- visited our great Friend, the Glendale Federal Credit Union, and met with staff to talk about our work supporting and promoting the Library
- attended programs of the Community Foundation of the Verdugos
- signed on as a charter member of Glendale’s Collective Impact Initiative
- attended Glendale Chamber of Commerce events, and addressed its Leadership Glendale class when they toured the Central Library renovation
- began work with Glendale Arts on a PopUP! Literary Festival set for October 2016
- promoted the great programs Brand Associates and the Brand Library & Art Center are providig for the community
Kalfayan thanked Board VPs and leaders: VP Book Sales Peter Breckheimer, Newsletter Editor and Photographer Vic Pallos, Parliamentarian Faranak Van Patten, Treasurer Marie Fish, Recording Secretary Patricia Zeider, Logo and Branding Committee Chair Rodica Mondocea, Membership VP Bree Moseley and Legislative Chair John Steele.
Welcome to newly elected VP Community Events Robert Gordon, who has already started working on programming! Look for more information about Floodpath and author Jon Wilkman (June 8). Details coming soon on The Nest and author Cynthia Sweeney (set for July 21), and the Literary PopUP! series planned with Glendale Arts (set for October).